Tuesday, February 18, 2014

Cereal...and what the heck am I supposed to eat for breakfast now?????

My husband asked me, "What's the deal with LIFE?"

"You are going to have to be a bit more specific", I replied.

"The cereal. I always thought it would be disgusting because of the name. But then I tried it today and it was AWESOME. Totally full of sugar."



"And your point?", I asked.

"Stupid marketing. The cereal just doesn't match up with the name"

Oh----kay! And there is your random media moment from my day! Though just in case you were wondering, Life is actually low in sugar (6 grams a serving) compared to most other cereals (e.g., Lucky charms has 10 grams, Fruit Loops has 12). I was checking this on a website and to my HORROR I found that one of the very worst cereals you can have is Raisin Bran - a whopping 19 grams of sugar per serving!!! I have this like 4 times a week and always thought it super healthy for you!

Stupid marketing, indeed.

Time to find a new, delicious, healthy cereal....suggestions?


10 comments:

  1. Haha. I love LIFE! It is true though. It is a pretty random name for that kind of cereal. I'm not sure how much sugar it has in it, but one of my favorites is Multi-grain Cheerios. WHICH is also deceiving because "Multi-grain" makes it sound healthy right? But they're actually a lot sweeter than the regular kind of Cheerios. I'm not complaining. I'm just saying... :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was going to say Multi-grain Cheerios too! I like to put some fresh blueberries on top and it is the best. I also really like Oatmeal Squares. I've tried to be really careful about cereal because of sugar content because my mom actually taught me growing up about the advertisements used to sell the sugary, unhealthy cereals. I guess that's evidence that parents really can have an affect on how their children listen to the media for decision-making.

    ReplyDelete
  3. NOOOOO!!!! I love Raisin Bran. I thought I was being so healthy. That's really embarrassing. How did I not know that? You aren't the only one that fell for that trap. Well, I guess I'll have to find something else.

    Nicole, I love the Oatmeal Squares too. They are really good. I'll just have to stick to those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love LIFE too!! The cinnamon LIFE is the best! :) My "healthy" cereals are usually LIFE, Honey Nut Cheerios, and Oatmeal Squares. Now I'm interested to see how much sugar is in each of those.. Still won't change my preference I'm afraid haha..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was going to say oatmeal squares. They have about 9 grams of sugar per serving, which is a fair amount, but it is packed with whole grains and fiber, and it is very filling, so one serving of cereal is more than enough to fill you up until your next meal. I also love granola in a bowl with milk. That works to fill you up as well

    ReplyDelete
  6. LIFE cinnamon is the best!!! Especially because it doesn't TASTE super healthy haha...(I'm not a healthy cereal person...) And brown sugar cinnamon Oatmeal Squares are really good too!! My husband votes for Fiber One, but I think it's gross...good luck finding your new cereal! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Corn Chex is good, I don't know the sugar but I don't think it's very much.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love Cherrios! Its the only cereal I eat! Stawberries and bananas with them are delish!!! Media people lie all the time to sell their products! How do we even know who to trust?!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my heck I love Life cereal!! I can't believe that your husband just found this out...however I'm happy for him! But really the best cereal is probably captain crunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The other day I bought "Trader Joe's Honey Nut O's" and they were delicious! It did have 10 g of sugar per serving (3/4 cup), but it was fortified with other good stuff like with iron, zinc, and folic acid. I've been craving this cereal ever since I finished the box! :)

    ReplyDelete