Saturday, October 13, 2018

A beautiful motherhood moment, brought to you by Matilda

I just had a beautiful moment with my daughter, Hannah, tonight that I wanted to record. Paul and I were out fairly late hanging out with some friends. The older kids were babysitting. When we got home, the kids were still awake and they wanted to talk. We all sat on Nathan's bed (my eldest son) and just chatted for a while. Then I put the boys to sleep and went in to put Hannah to bed.

We were talking for a bit and then she randomly started singing "My Shot" from Hamilton. Dang - she has most of those words memorized and there are A LOT of words in that song! She is going to be "Matilda" (the Broadway version) for Halloween this year, so I asked her to sing a Matilda song. She sang the song, "Quiet". It is such a beautiful song, and she has such a clear, pure voice. She looked up over the computer at me, and I was struck by one of those moments of motherhood where I just wanted to stop time. Hannah is 11 next month and is really growing into an incredible young woman. She is strong, and confident, and bossy, and just SO full of life, and I drank up every moment of that song. At the end I gave her a huge hug and whispered, "Never grow up. Ever".  So then she had to sing me the song, "When I grow up"....also from Matilda and really made me cry. Ha!

Hannah and I really bond over Broadway songs. We sing them all the time to each other (sometimes belting them out WAAAAY too loud). Hannah loves to act in plays and early this year asked me to try out for a play with her. That is NOT my thing, so I told her no at first, but then ended up agreeing to try out...because when your daughter asks you to spend time with her doing something you love, you say "yes" even though it might be really hard and scary for you! We both ended up making it and performed in Payson Community Theater's "A Night on Broadway" (and I even got to sing Edelweiss as a duet! So much scarier than talking in front of hundreds of people like I often do for my job. AHHH!!) Singing and dancing with Hannah is one of my VERY favorite things to do with her and I am so grateful for the many, many ways that music touches my life and allows me to deepen relationships with others.

Singing "You will be found" - my sister and niece are also in the picture


Hannah singing "Carrying the Banner" from Newsies


Edelweiss duet


4 comments:

  1. I love Broadway music, and I had the opportunity to see Matilda on Broadway a few years back. Those songs are poignant, and I cannot wait to have special moments shared with my future children like this. Thanks for your example of taking time to spend time with your kiddos!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool opportunity! I hope to be able to find hobbies like this with my children someday. I think it has a huge impact on them and is a fun way to bond with each individual child.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks so much for sharing that beautiful moment you had with your daughter! Motherhood is such a sacred calling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow. I love this post much! I often think about how sacred the relationship between mother and child is. Nothing can compare. I love that you ended up agreeing to be in the play with her! I am sure that meant so much to her! You are an incredible mama!

    ReplyDelete