Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Billy Elliot - A dance for the senses

Hello from Belgium!

I spent 10 hours today reviewing grant applications in a too hot room with far too few breaks and I am DONE.

Tonight I needed to veg, so I picked up a warm baguette, some meat and some cheese and set up camp in my hotel room.

I decided to watch Billy Elliot. This film came out in 2000, so is definitely not new, but I hadn't seen it yet.



I LOVED IT.

It's about a young British boy growing up in the 80s in coal country, who decides he wants to be a professional dancer.

I think I cried at least 5 or 6 times. The dancing was enchanting, the hard won relationship between father and son was touching, but the perseverance and grit shown by young Billy was the most beautiful of all. This film made me want to sing and dance and follow all my dreams at once. I love when good media has that kind of power.

I think what made it most touching was that my 6 year old, Liam, just started ballet this year. Liam is such a beautiful soul. My other boys are more rough and tumble and are all into soccer, while Liam just wants to dance. He talked about it for a full year before we picked him up the cutest little tap and ballet shoes. He is the only boy in his class and comes home grinning and twirling each week. Oh how I love my little guy. I hope nothing ever stops his spirit and his desire to pursue the arts.



The film is rated R in the states, but only 13+ here in Belgium, which is interesting. There is a lot of swearing, so viewer be warned. I feel like it accurately reflects life in a hardened family in rural England - similar to how my husband grew up. To me, it didn't take away from the film, but was a stark juxtaposition to the beauty of the ballet.

I grew up dancing and tried out for the drill team when I was 15 years old. I made it to the final round, before getting cut. My entire dance company made it - I was the only one who didn't make the team. I remember crying to my dance coach that evening and thinking my life had ended. Of course it did not, and I ended up getting involved in wonderful things in high school, but one consequence of this was that I stopped dancing for more than 20 years. This changed 2 years ago when my daughter asked me to try out for community theatre with her. I started dancing again and it ended up being the most beautiful, healing, empowering experience I have had in a very long time. Dancing is good for the soul and good for the heart.


So happy here!


My daughter, Hannah, and me

 Wearing a tutu just makes life better.



Enjoy the dance of life!







3 comments:

  1. I love how movies like that just empower you to follow your dreams and to just do good! I'm sure it was so fun to be able to dance again after all those years, but especially with your daughter :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so cool! I feel the same way about all the things I did in High School (choir, dance), maybe I can do it again someday with my family for fun!

    Also, fun fact: Did you know that Tom Holland (our friendly neighborhood Spider-Man) is actually originally a dancer and played Billy Elliot in the musical version of this show? Crazy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No way, I had no idea! I definitely want to see the musical version of the show.

      Delete