Sunday, October 11, 2009

The day...the music died.

The music in our ward is seriously lacking. We rarely have musical items and our ward choir at today's count was about 5 (including all three bishopric members who came!!) The ward music director pleaded for someone to sing a solo in the next few weeks. Silence. Crickets chirping. You get the idea.

I love to sing, and I love music, but I have what I would call a "choir voice". I was in the top choir in high school and can definitely hold my part, but singing a solo terrifies me. I've sang duets by the dozens, trios by the trillions (okay, not really, but the alliteration was just so nice there). I don't bat an eyelid at the thought of lecturing to a class of 400 students about sex according to Freud (sick!), but the thought of singing a solo leaves me paralyzed with fear. I've always wanted to, but am just way too scared.




But the silence (and the guilt) was driving me crazy. Plus those stupid crickets wouldn't stop chirping. So I volunteered.

But should I do it? I just lectured on the power of music, right?? Music can bring in the spirit, lift our emotions, change lives, yadda yadda yadda. But when it's me I'm talking about, I'm like, "let's just sing another intermediate hymn". I don't know....what do you guys think? Do I put myself out there, and get over this fear? Or do I back down, even though my pet peeve is people backing out of something once they've committed?

Media...you are not my friend this week! :(

8 comments:

  1. I am right there with you! I think I would rather die than sing a solo. However, I think you should do it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think if you really prepare for it and pray for the Spirit to help you, you can be an instrument for the Lord. Of course it's easy for me to tell you that, when I'm not the one who has to sing a solo...definitely one of those things easier said (or explained) than done. Good luck. Have your family pray for you a lot. That's what worked for my mom when she had to play the organ:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My sister is a piano composer who writes LDS music (website in case you're interested is www.saralynbaril.com) and somehow I always end up doing the demos for her cds. At first I was always terrified, but now I always volunteer to sing solos no matter how scared I am because it gets easier the more you do it. SO GO FOR IT!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel you on that. I'm terrified of solos, as well. I don't even sing in groups unless there's at least 5 other people or so. But you really do get over fears by facing them.

    However, if you do get too scared, you can always try to grab someone else and do a duet, since you're comfortable with that. Or you can resort to a piano solo. Music does bring the Spirit, and it doesn't have to be a vocal solo to do so. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I say go for it!!! I know the feeling of being afraid to sing a solo...been there done that! Man. But I always just tell myself that the spirit is all the matters, and if people feel the spirit it doesn't even really matter if your voice is top of the line. I mean, it helps to stay on key, but you don't have to be spectacular to lift others with music :) You can totally do it! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am in the same boat, I have done choir my whole life and women's chorus here, but solos and auditioning terrify me! I have learned that lots of practice and praying helps to ease the nerves. The rewards definitely out weigh the fear you feel, it will build not only the testimonies of those who will hear you, but you are basically bearing your testimony through song which makes it even more powerful! (plus, if no one is volunteering, then there is not really anyone to compare with so you will be the best solo singer in your ward!) Good luck! read 2 Tim 1:7

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried out for a solo once, and I think that it was worse than crickets...I think it was an entire forest of insects that were chirping (sp?! However, I've never regretted that I at least tried. Like someone famous once said (I don't remember who at the moment) "Don't let the fear of striking out keep you from playing the game." :)

    ReplyDelete