Friday, October 30, 2009

SLIDE!

I've been feeling really nostalgic lately.

So, I planned a roommate reunion up at USU for last week.

SO MUCH FUN! Here is a picture of all the original roommates at our reunion.


Anyway...why is this about the media? Well, the night before the reunion I was driving home in my car from book club. The song, "Slide" by the Goo Goo Dolls came on the radio. I was already in roommate mode, as I was thinking of the reunion the next day. Immediately I was transported almost 10 years back in time to my freshman year at college. Well, me and one of my roommates Lesley stayed up ALL night talking. Around 3:00 in the morning we thought it would be really cool to make up a dance to you guessed it...Slide. We called it the "Happy Dance", and taught it to all our roommates the next morning.

Please don't judge. You all did very random and stupid things when you were freshmen too. Oh, you gotta love freshmen!

Anyway, as the song came on, I realized that I could recall almost the entire "happy dance", even though I haven't thought about it for YEARS. Isn't it amazing how a song has the power to transport you back in time? I think music has a unique effect in bringing strong memories to the surface.

And no... I know you want to see, but I'm afraid I won't be performing the happy dance in class this year. I know you are disappointed, but somehow you'll survive! :)

3 comments:

  1. That's awesome. I'm really sad that we won't be able to see the dance, though.

    I've always been amazed of the power of songs, too. Certain songs transport me back to high school dances, or make me think of a certain person, or are somehow connected to a random memory. Which is both a good and a bad thing. It's great when a song brings back good memories, but it's not fun bringing back bad memories. Especially when it's so involuntary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. :D i love that we are so connected this week dr. coyne haha

    and yes, a huuuuggee thing of songs is the way that they can bring back memories that you didn't even remember you had because it's been soo long since you last entertained the thought. you remember the happy dance...or all the lyrics to a backstreet boys song that you haven't heard since you were like 12?! how...? does that blow your mind or what. haha

    music is insane

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how music can bring back memories of different times or people! It's amazing that it can do that! And I'm totally up for rallying to see that happy dance! :)

    ReplyDelete