Thursday, November 5, 2009

Nineteen minutes

I love books!

I especially love it when I get so caught up in the story that I read the book every spare second of my entire day. I can't put it down: I have to know what happens next!

Nineteen minutes, by Jodi Picoult was that kind of a book for me. A GREAT book, and I would definitely recommend it. I should note that there is a bit profanity, so be wary if you know this offends you.

This book is about a school shooting. Now, most of you know that I lecture for two days on school shootings so am quite interested in the topic.



The book starts out with the school shooting and then jumps back into time to follow the shooter (Peter) throughout his entire life. It also randomly jumps into the present to show his trial progresses.

The book also was from the perspective of Peter's mother for a lot of the book. You just felt SO bad for her. She was a good mother, and loved her son SO MUCH, and everyone else thought he was a monster. They didn't have these memories of him when he took his first step, or said his first word. No memories of snuggling in bed reading books, or birthday parties. I really empathized with this mother.

This really changed the way I think about school shootings. Honestly, a part of me wanted Peter to get off in the end. The book shows how he is bullied MERCILESSLY from his first day of kindergarten. I cried when I read that part, cause my little boy goes to kindergarten next year and it scares me that he might have these things happen to him.

The bullying never stops for Peter in the book, all the way up to high school. Peter targets his bullies, and part of me felt that he was just a little bit justified for shooting them. Now, before you think I've gone all apostate, obviously, I think murder is BAD. Don't do it! But this book REALLY made me think; about how we judge others, about revenge, and about the way we treat others.

And that's honestly the only thing I can think of to STOP these school shootings. I can teach my children to be a good friend, even to those who are a bit weird, or ugly, or whatever. And to defend others when they are being bullied. Maybe that one good friend is enough to prevent school shootings from occurring in the first place.

A lot to think about.

6 comments:

  1. That really does seem like a good book. I love books that make me think like that. That's one reason I loved the book Thirteen Reasons Why so much. It made me think how I may have impacted people's lives and how people impacted mine without knowing. Can I maybe borrow it from you sometime?

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you liked that book, you should try My Sister's Keeper by the same author. I've heard the movie wasn't nearly as good, so if you've seen that don't judge the book... Anyway, this book will have to be next on my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you said about teaching your children to be a good friend. Growing up I was always blessed to have a lot of friends but it always broke my heart to see people who had none. I am constantly teaching my children about the importance of being kind to everyone and I also tell them to especially reach out to those who need a friend. I know that mothers can a powerful influence for good in the lives of their children. Can't wait to read this one-I know that I will totally cry too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I really need to read that book. I remember watching Kip Kipling that one day and I bawled the rest of the afternoon. I remember Kip saying "I HAD to" even though he was obviously distraught at what he had done. I remember feeling so sad for him that he had come to the point where he truly felt he had no other choice than to take a gun to school and start shooting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. this sounds so incredible. my number one reason for reading books is to read books that make you think that make you feel and that make you question everything that you thought you believed...in a good way though. things that solidify what you've always know, but do it in a way that's very...emotional and powerful. i am def going to check this one out.

    ReplyDelete