Thursday, February 4, 2010

A song that helped me get my PhD!

I forgot to share this in class today.

I started out today's lecture by playing one of my favorite songs: "The Voice Within" by Christina Aguilera. I really find this song inspiring and uplifting and it always cheers me up.



When I was doing my PhD I literally used this song to help get through it all. In England, the last step to get a PhD is to have a 2-3 hour Viva. This entails pretty much writing a book length document, then having 3 experts in the field read it, and then quiz you on it for hours on end. One of my examiners happened to be a man called Kaj Bjorkvist, who pretty much was the first person to ever study relational aggression!!! Crazy! So, you can see how I would be more than a little nervous!

Picture of Kaj!!!


Well, I was sat in my office right before the viva started and I was FREAKING OUT! So, I turned this song on and listened to it probably 5 times in a row. It really calmed me down, and made me feel like I could anything. Totally cheesy, I know, but it really helped me cope in this extremely tense situation! Thank you music! (and Christina!)

Music video!

4 comments:

  1. I love this song...always made me feel good about myself too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way to go Sarah! That just shows what a wonderful person you are that you made it through that and are now a professor at BYU!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that music can have that effect! It's great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this song SO much!! Actually, I love Christina too :) It's amazing how music really has such an effect on each of us. I have noticed that it can completely change my mood and how I am feeling.

    ReplyDelete