Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mommy media madness!

I'm noticing how much more the media is influencing my emotions now that I am a parent: ESPECIALLY about parent/kid stuff. Last night I was watching Lost (an earlier season) and there is a really touching moment between Kate and a little boy. It was SO SAD, and I ran right in and snuggled Nathan cause I was feeling vulnerable I guess!



I was also at the library picking out books yesterday. Recently I like the author, Jodi Picoult (author of Nineteen minutes (see earlier post on this book) and My Sister's Keeper). I was skimming through the book jackets, and read something like, "newlyweds finally get pregnant, but baby is born with multiple problems"...okay..put that one back, feeling way too vulnerable for this book. Next one I picked up was "Parents deal with issues after their 5 year old son is sexually abused"...I almost threw this back on the shelf! I finally settled on a book about euthanisia: still a controversial topic but nothing to do with parent/child issues so felt I could tackle it.

And I think pregnancy makes me especially vulnerable. Case in point: Clover butter commercial I showed in class today. I also remember when I was pregnant with Nathan I was watching an episode of ER. In this episode, Dr. Carter (love him!) and his wife Kim are pregnant with their first child. Right before the due date, the baby dies while still in uetro. SO SAD! I honestly cried and cried after watching this, and even now it makes me horribly sad to think of it!!



So watch out: becoming a parent makes you more vulnerable to ALL sort of media messages that wouldn't really have affected you before!! (and cost me A LOT of money on expensive butter! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment