Saturday, March 13, 2010

Jon Schmidt + me = best friends! :)

I have been SUPER busy the last few weeks, firstly planning and carrying out a media and family conference at BYU and secondly presenting some research at an adolescence conference in Philadelphia (actually where I am right now).

For the media and family conference, BYU pretty much gave me a large sum of money and said "put on a media and family conference". Okay! Well, this turned out to be a GIANT job that took up a huge amount of time. I did get to bring in some of the top media/family researchers in the country which was really exciting. I also got to choose the entertainment for one night. So, I emailed Jon Schmidt, one of my favorite entertainers, and literally asked him, "will you come play at my conference?" Two hours later he personally had replied and said "yes!" (for a large fee, though, I might add!)

This was an AMAZING experience. For those of you who have not heard Jon Schmidt, you should check him out (http://www.jonschmidt.com). He is such an amazing pianist and entertainer. Tears ran down my cheeks as he played his beautiful music, and my heart was lifted as I watched his fingers move across the piano. I have loved his music for a very long time and it was wonderful to interact with him on a such a personal level (in a group of only like 25 people!) After the concert, I even got a picture with him (yes, I know, I am a total groupie!)



So, I come home tomorrow from a CRAZY few weeks of work and hopefully will get back on track with everything. Paul just called with an update from home: Hannah had managed to stick an M & M and an entire length of string up her nose. Oh fun! I'm excited to get home though!!!

2 comments:

  1. I'm so glad you get to take a break and finally breathe after these last few weeks. Great job pulling everything off, though!

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's awesome! I'm so glad you've been able to get a break, Colette did a great job with the Media Violence lecture.

    ReplyDelete