Thursday, January 5, 2012

I'm obsessed with the Gilmore Girls!

I posted this on my private blog about a month ago. Given our quick discussion in class, I thought it was relevant so thought I'd repost it!

I cannot even tell you how much I love this show. I am so lame...I study the media, so I really should know better, but I seriously LOVE this show!! For those of you who haven't had the pleasure of the Gilmore experience, the show is about a mom and her teenage daughter, who have a super close relationship. I think it's such a positive portrayal of the teen/parent relationship in the media. Most portrayals are very stereotypical and negative, but this shows that teens/parents can actually be really close! It even coincides with real research that shows that the vast majority of parents and teens have a good, close, loving, relationship!



I really like the mom (Loralei) on this show! She is so funny and such a good mom (though a little lax at times!) She has this on again/off again relationship with Luke, and I have never been as invested in a TV relationship before (akin to the Ross/Rachel relationship of yesteryear's!!) Don't tell me if they end up together....I don't want to ruin the anticipation! But they better end up together!!!

There are seven seasons, and I am now on the last season (we get it from NetFlix). I am purposefully trying to drag things out, only watching an episode occasionally to make the goodness last.



Seriously, I know how SAD I sound! It's a TV show, with fake characters for goodness sake!!! But it's funny, I feel like a part of their lives: in the research world, we call this a "parasocial relationship": a totally non-existent relationship where we still feel connected and get something out of the relationship (even though it doesn't really exist)! I feel like I'm going to go through a mourning period when this is all done! At least I have something to talk about in my media class now, right??

Anyway, if you haven't seen this series, GET IT! All 7 seasons are on NetFlix and I would highly recommend it!! Paul even watches it with me, and he even likes it! And that is saying something! LOVE IT!!!

4 comments:

  1. My favorite show...ever!!! I love this show so much that I literally cried after the last episode ended. I couldn't believe that I didn't have any more to watch. It's my favorite show to watch while doing dishes, folding laundry, or working out. Love love love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE Gilmore girls!! :) I'm slowly making my way through and I'm on Season Four. Another series me and my husband love is Smallville. Have you seen it?? So good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gilmore Girls is my absolute favorite TV show!!! It has such a great feeling about it and always makes me happy whenever I watch it. I also love the relationships and Lorelei is my favorite! I started watching random episodes on TV in high school and loved it so much that I bought all 7 seasons and throughout the years have watched is several times! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. How do you get your husband to watch these shows with you?! My husband only likes watching sports (and he hardly ever even does that). I want to bond over TV shows and ginger ale. Haha.

    ReplyDelete