Saturday, January 7, 2012

Once upon a Time

Since half a dozen of you mentioned this was your favorite show, I decided to check it out over the weekend. And.......LOVE IT!!!! I'm totally hooked and I've only seen the first two episodes. I personally love fairy tales and fantasy so this is right up my alley. I love the main girl, Emma....cause she's Dr. Cameron from House! Plus, she's really good! Some violence, so I had to pause it when my kids came in the room, but no sex or violence to speak of...hopefully it stays that way!



I'm already thinking of my favorite fairy tales and which ones I want them to cover. I really like the story of the girl and the six swans. Her brothers are turned into swans and she has to knit them shirts out of starwort (like nettles) to turn them back into humans. Juliet Marillier wrote a FANTASTIC book series based on this fairy tale (the first in the series is called "Daughter of the Forest". I would HIGHLY recommend it!) and ever since I read these books, I just love this little known fairy tale.



Anyway, this particular tale would be a fun one for them to cover in this show! Thanks for a great recommendation, guys! Hopefully this one is around for a while!

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE this show! It's a great show to watch with older kids and adults. Everyone in my apartment watches it too so we use it as bonding time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't read that book but Steele and I made a google spreadsheet of good books/movies we want to own so I will add it! With Once Upon a Time...most of the shows have been ok in regards to content. The episode with Cinderella (not to spoil it, you know thats the episode from the preview) but it has some sexual content in it that I was embarrassed to watch when my brother-in-law and hubby, who were watching it with me....so just be careful with that one, especially with the kiddos. My family watches it in Texas so they see it before we do and I just ask them to tell me if something is bad beforehand. It is a fun series though!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to watch it! I have heard that it is amazing! Thanks for your post:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't this show fantastic! I love how they kind of re-did Snow White's story. And I'm kind of in love with Prince Charming. I can't wait to see what other fairy tales they'll put in here. I'm glad to see that you like it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am so glad that you like this show! I want them to do your idea too, I haven't ever heard of that story. My only worry about this show is that it won't last very long, simply because they can only be caught in storybrook for so long, then how long can it really go on after that? I'm hoping that they prove me wrong, because this is one of the few GOOD shows on TV now!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  6. I love fairy tales! I made my husband watch one of the beginning episodes with me and he was hooked, which means a lot because he's usually pretty critical about what he'll watch. I was really excited to see your post and to learn about a new book and a new fairy tale! I'm definitely going to have to pick that up from the library soon!

    ReplyDelete