Monday, March 19, 2012

A big surprise at the Caucus meeting

I'm blaming it on the West Wing.

You all know that the West Wing is my absolute favorite show in the whole wide world (well....tied with Girlmore Girls). It has helped me become interested in politics and now I actually CARE what is going on in the world. Paul and I are re-watching the whole series. We are currently on the 7th and final season, where surprise, there is an election! We just got through the part where there are the primaries, and the debates, and it is so well done that I actually enjoy watching it, even as we are watching the REAL primaries and debates for the current presidential race!



In the real world, I've been following the primaries with great interest: I would love Romney to win.



Not because he is Mormon, but because his political ideals lie fairly closely with mine, and because I think he would be a great president. Rick Santorum is okay, but will never win. Newt is....well Newt. Seriously, who is voting for this guy?!?!?

So, I actually voted for Obama in the last election (don't send the hate please! :) Apart from a few things, I think he's been a very good president, and I honestly think that the Republican nominee would have to be excellent for me not to vote for Obama this time round!



I definitely call myself an independent and carefully consider all the candidates regardless of party. So with this in mind, and after the multiple announcements in church, I decided to attend my local caucus last week. I had no idea what to expect. But it was kind of cool! And.....somehow I got elected to be my precint's delegate for the state convention in about a month! Talk about getting involved!!! I'm pretty nervous, but excited to actually be getting involved in the political process. I mean, realistically, it won't matter much: we all know how Utah is going to vote! :) But thanks to the West Wing, I am doing my part to be civic and politically minded and I'm feeling pretty good about things so far! Now....who to vote for???

5 comments:

  1. That's so awesome!! Way to go Dr. Coyne! When we lived in DC, I worked for a political campaign fundraising consulting group and it helped me to get a lot more involved. I was going to work on Romneys campaign this semester but can't since I'm so close to finishing school. I think he is a great candidate too and think he has the best shot in campaigning for the Republican party compared to the other guys. Good luck as the delegate!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Romney all the way. I wish Newty Patooty would drop out, I just don't agree with him at all. But either way, way to represent Dr. Coyne!! Wahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is so great Dr. Coyne! You are such a great example to us about being involved. Thanks for that! This time around, I have definitely been more interested in the politics of electing a new president. I'll be honest I'm not even sure if I voted last time, because I was on my mission. I didn't even know about everything going on! Now I am always listening to talk radio- KSL news radio mostly, but I'm sure to tune into NPR as well so I am hearing about a lot of different angles.
    Anyways my point is, I'm proud of you! You're awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dr. Coyne for President!
    I feel really lucky to be here for all of this political fun! I guess I feel more grateful for the right to vote and be involved because my politcal-loving dad is not a citizen and cannot vote in caucuses, elections or run for any kind of office. My dad (who attended both the republican and democratic caucuses just for fun!) is seriously considering applying for citizenship as soon as he is eligible just so he can take part. Though sometimes the "big" politics is a little scary, all the little stuff at the ground level makes me feel proud to be an American :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. YAY! That's awesome. I just had a dream last night that I met president Obama and it was sooo cool. We were best friends. I can't hate on the Obama thing. Most everyone in my family voted for him. Do you get a lot of backlash when you tell people that? I know things back home can get a little less than friendly when people find that out about mi madre.

    ReplyDelete