Wednesday, September 12, 2012

My first 5k ever!

Okay, it's taken me a while to make this first post: we've been trying to get our Disney Princess study up and running and it's kind of been an insane first few weeks of the semester!

So this isn't all that exciting in the grand scheme of things, but it's really exciting for me. This last weekend I ran my first 5k! I know it's not all that long, but I've wanted to run one for a long time! Between having 3 kids, and a number of injuries over the last few years, it's just never worked out. But Saturday was the day!

I found out because one of my "friends" posted a link on his Facebook account to a race going on in Spanish Fork the next morning. So I thought, now or never!!

I ended up 4th in my age group and got a really good time for me! I'm so glad that I at least tried this, cause I ended up having a lot of fun! The best part (besides finishing) was grabbing a cup of Gatorade, swigging it, and then throwing it on the side of the road. I don't know why this was so fun, it just made me a bit giddy! :)

Here is me at the end of the race



What I noticed is how much music influenced my run. I ran the whole way and I don't think I would have been able to keep up the pace without music! I have lots of songs on  my playlist, but here are some of my favorite songs to run to:

Beautiful Day (U2)
Elevation (U2)
Eye of the Tiger
In the end (Linkin Park)
Since you've been gone (Kelly Clarkson)
Everyday Life (Rascal Flatts)
American Girl (Tom Petty)

and my very favorite.......

Lose yourself (Eminem..edited version)....which doesn't exactly fit my personality, but is such a fabulous song to run to because my feet just go exactly on the beat when I hear it and it always motivates me!

I've had the same workout list for a few years now, and I want to update it! So, what is your favorite song to run or exercise to?!?

2 comments:

  1. Way to go! I found a new love of running over the summer and I'm slowly becoming addicted. Music is essential though. I ran my first half marathon with a dead iPod...I thought I was going to die. Sounds dramatic but it was the truth. A recent favorite of mine is Stronger by Kelly Clarkson. Also Sweeter by Gavin DeGraw. And Uprising by Muse. Ah there are too many good ones. :) Want to join me for the Halloween Half next month?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh those are all good workout songs. I've definitely run to the tune of "In the End" before. The Linkin Park and Jay-Z song "Numb" is pretty good too, but you have to make sure you get the edited version. A few of my favorites are:

    "Rocketeer" by Far East Movement
    "Paralyzed" by Rock Kills Kid
    "Stronger" by Kanye West
    and "Feel So Close" by Calvin Harris

    My mom has gotten really into running in the past couple years, and she admitted to me that she discovered the song "More Bounce in California" by Soulkid # 1 on my sister's iPod. It has continued to help her get over the bridges on her usual route in my hometown, despite her realizing that it's fraught with poor language and drug/sex references. I guess when you get to a point of desperation in running, you do what you have to do to keep going. :) Maybe I will track down an edited version for her.

    Awesome job on the run!

    ReplyDelete