Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Reliance on technology = big fat fail today!

If you couldn't tell, I was a little frustrated in class today! I love this lecture and I love to talk about music so I was pretty upset that the technology was not on my side today! :(  It got me thinking just how much I rely on technology for teaching. I have a powerpoint for every class. What would I do if it failed? Could I just give the whole lecture? I'm pretty comfortable with the material now, so I rarely, if ever, bring any sort of notes to class, so I wonder if I could just wing the whole thing.....could be interesting! I also really rely on my media clips and go through huge effort to find good ones to show, so when technology doesn't work for me, I feel a bit lost! It kind of breaks up the whole lecture, so I apologize for having to skip around today!

This could have been me today....if I were a man.



What makes it even worse is that the only other time I have had technology fail on me during teaching was last semester....for the MUSIC LECTURE! Again! This time, the projector wouldn't work, so they set up a portable projector.....which didn't have itunes so I couldn't show a single clip. Boooooooo! This lecture is cursed! Next semester better be on my side!

On a side note, I was listening to NPR on the way home (yes, I know, I am officially a nerd) and they were talking about.....MUSIC! Apparently during the recession people are listening to something called "bubblegum pop" which is really happy, very shallow music. Apparently, it takes our mind of things like not having a job, or losing your house! But now that things are getting better, songs with deeper, more introspective lyrics are coming back on the scene. Very interesting! I never thought about how the economic climate can influence what songs are popular!

4 comments:

  1. Don't worry, lecture was still very good. I always wondered how people who went to college 20 years ago learned their material, they didn't have powerpoints or learning suite, and it probably took 3 times as long to write a research paper when they had to actually look up the articles by hand. Yes, technology has made learning much more accessible. Oh and that picture, I'm not a man and thats me all the time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I still liked the lecture! I do wish it would have worked in the first room though...those seats were so COMFY! :) Haha.
    Anyways, your lecture was fine. I will just have to come and sit in on it next semester so I can see the clips you were wanting to show!
    Thanks for all of your hard work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ...by fine I mean AWESOME! Haha, sorry, should have reread my comment before I posted it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I couldn't do half the things I do without technology. We even use it for church on campus. Thank goodness that it works more than it doesn't.

    ReplyDelete