Monday, September 17, 2012

SO Wicked!

I LOVE theater! And my all time favorite musical is Wicked, so I was thrilled when it came to Salt Lake this summer! I've had tickets for an entire year and have been so waiting patiently for it to arrive.

We decided to take Nate with us. He knows all the songs (yep...I'm that person....we got the CD and listen to it all the time in the car), and is actually really well behaved at the theater. He was a little afraid of the monkeys (who isn't? Those things are evil!) but LOVED it! It ended around midnight so I was impressed he stayed up so late!



I just love the messages in this movie. There are lots about following your dreams, overcoming persecution, love, friendship, etc. But what stood out to me this time was a message of tolerance.

I just got called to be the Primary chorister, which is an awesome (though busy and tiring) calling. We were learning the song "If you don't walk like most people do" and I thought this theme was expressed perfectly in Wicked. So the same week I saw the play, I walked into primary and painted my face green. The kids were seriously transfixed. I told them the story of Wicked and how just because someone has a different color of skin than you, doesn't make them bad or weird, or anything. We then talked about the words to the song and what it really means if you say that you are going to "walk with someone", no matter what!  I then had a doll that I painted green, taped to a paintbrush, and then tied a rope around her. When the kids sang loud we made her "fly" just like in the show (anyone who isn't inspired by "defying gravity" is pretty much heartless!) Honestly, I have never heard these kids sing so loud. I almost started crying as their voices yelled out "Jesus blessed all He could see, then turned and said, come follow me, so I WILL! I WILL!" The Spirit was so strong, and I hope they could feel it. Primary can be a pretty thankless calling, but this was one of those perfect, golden moments that makes it all worth it. Thank you Wicked!!!!

6 comments:

  1. I think the doll painted green was an awesome touch! That sounds like a really fun Primary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wicked is one of the best musicals ever! I waited a long time before I was able to see the show for the first time. When that time finally came around, I was so excited! Two years ago I was able to see the show again and found the second time around how inspirational the whole story real is. Now I love it even more. Your primary kids are lucky to have you! You sound so fun and creative!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love Wicked. I have seen it twice. I don't think there is any other time I have cried just because something was simply so amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! What an amazing story inspired by Wicked! I too am a Wicked fan! Ah! I love listening to that music all the time. I also sing it with my sisters as they play the piano. So great! I was so sad that I wasn't able to go while it came to Salt Lake. Thankfully I already saw it in Charlotte, NC (where I am from) when they visited there. :) But, I think this is one play you just can't see enough! One day I will take my hubby...ah, I love the theater!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the messages that are in Wicked too. Before I saw it, I only knew the really popular songs (Defying Gravity, For Good) and loved them, but once I saw them in context, I was blown away! What amazing messages!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have always wanted to see, "Wicked," because everyone sings the songs and so I was like I guess I'll read the book since I don't live anywhere near broadway. BAD IDEA...the book is really bad. I was so surprised and couldn't figure out why everyone loves "Wicked." The book was awful. Never read the book!

    ReplyDelete