Sunday, November 25, 2012

My thoughts on Breaking Dawn Part 2

My mom called me up this week to go see Breaking Dawn Part 2 with her. I've been to see all the other Twilight movies with her, so thought I better finish out the series! Here are just a few thoughts.....



Good things
1. Twist surprise ending. I won't say what happens for those of you haven't seen it, but it was a great surprise!
2. This is the last Twilight movie. 

Bad things
1. All the middle age women sitting behind me who giggled insanely when Edward or Jacob said ANYTHING!!! Not funny things, just anything.
2. Very little plot. There were quite a few parts of the movie that were just downright boring. 
3. WAY violent. There is one scene where several vampires get beheaded in a quite gruesome fashion. I found out that this movie was originally rated R because of the violence. The producers decided to change the sound effects so the beheadings sounded less "squishy" and that pushed it down to PG-13. Ridiculous. I was this close to walking out, and really should have done so.
4. So many kids! Why do parents bring their very young kids to movies like this? Behind us (by the middle age ladies) were a family with three young kids, probably ages 10, 7, and 4. There were a number of other young families as well. This is NOT a movie for kids (see point 3). There is also a pretty lengthy sex scene right towards the beginning of the film. It's PG-13 so you don't "see" anything, but it's pretty darn intense for kids this age!
5. People clapped and cheered at the end of the film. I'm such a cynical crank, but the movie seriously was not that good!

So Breaking Dawn didn't exactly float my boat - I've never been a super fan of the series (see my earlier post, all the way back in 2009 - Death to New Moon), and I've never really understood the hysteria behind the books or the movies. Sorry girls!

8 comments:

  1. I have been debating whether or not to see the last movie. I don't think I will see it. I did read all the books, but I really hated the last book. The sex scene in the last movie was bad and I was in shock it was PG-13

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am 100% with you on not understanding the hysteria! (I've never actually read the books or seen the movies, besides the first for both...and they were both letdowns so I didn't bother to continue.) But regardless of the poor quality, I am disappointed in Stephenie Meyer for her content as well...whether she likes it or not, as an LDS member in the public eye, she represents the church, and also attracts a ton of LDS women and girls. I don't think she has been a very good steward over her resources in that position.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read all the books, but then was taught by a guy friend for three hours why Twilight was so bad. I finally saw the light. Haha. I have only seen the first movie though. I don't know if I am the only one with this struggle, but when I read books and they make movies out of them...I am more drawn to go see them, even if I know they are not good. I have not done this with Twilight...but I am tempted maybe just to watch them on clearplay or soemthing. Hhmmm. I dunno.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahaha, I love that there are so many more cons than pros ;) I got about 3/4s through the first book and had to stop 'cause I was grossed out by the ridiculous and false description of the kissing scenes (I can imagine the sex scenes were even worse). I admit, I did like watching the first movie, but that's where I stopped. I don't like things that people get obsessed over, so when I heard of so many mothers reading Twilight over taking care of their families, I ran the other way. The character of Edward is ridiculous too because no man is like that--thankfully! Anywho, I agree with Catherine Jones in being disappointed with Stephanie Meyer being LDS and putting out such worldly nastiness.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read and loved the books, but there is something about seeing them in film that showed me how incredibly corny they are! The movies have all been terrible and every time I see a commercial for them I bust up laughing. I have seen all of them and will probably see this one too but not while it is in theaters. Silly books and silly movies.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm right there with you in that one of the great things about this movie is that it was the last one. Though I have to say in movie quality this was certainly the best of the series, and was pleasantly surprising. Regardless, it wasn't a great movie, it just wasn't as bad as the other ones. Great review.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I seriously only went to Breaking Dawn Part 2 because my roommate had an extra ticket. I hadn't even seen Eclipse or Part 1 yet (still haven't). I had read the books though and the ending surprised me A LOT! But, I found myself not even really watching because all the violence made me cringe! I maybe saw the first (SPOILER ALERT) death being of Carlisle and then I literally hid my eyes until the ending.
    Breaking Dawn (and the whole Twilight movie series) is the reason why some books should only stay in PRINT, where they're actually somewhat good...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Honestly I read the books and liked them initially but looking back now I wish I hadn't. Not only because they are fairly shallow but also because I find them to be heavily sexual and inappropriate for any age. I stopped seeing the movies after the 2nd one. I'm sorry you had to sit through that!

    ReplyDelete