Sunday, January 27, 2013

Les Mis!

Paul and I were able to get away from the kids for a few hours on Saturday so we watched Les Miserables.


Here are some of my major thoughts:

1. The most powerful story in the film is the transformation of Jean Valjean. He goes from a prisoner to a truly amazing individual, full of integrity. When things get difficult, he always chooses the right, even when it seems impossible. I love so many of the songs, but I particulary love "Who am I?", when he is having an internal battle about what to do - remain as mayor or reveal his past and by doing so, freeing an innocent man. This is such a deep question that we should all ask oursevles - "Who am I?" What do I stand for? How do my choices make me the person I am today? I was so inspired by this line of thinking, that I ditched my Superbowl themed Primary singing time (I'm the Primary choirister in my ward) and we seriously had a Les Mis themed singing time. I started out by telling the kids the G rated version of Jean Valjean, and I'm not kidding, all 87 kids in our senior primary were transfixed!! We then sang some songs that really answer the question "who am I?", including I am a Child of God (really, the ultimate answer to that question), I'll walk with you, Nephi's Courage, I'm trying to be like Jesus, etc. I love it when I can use the media, and especially really positive messages in this kind of way.

2. The story between Jean valjean and Javert is definitely the best. Once Javert jumps (which is super intense in the film!), I kind of wanted the movie to end, but it seemed to drag on forever! The love story between Cosette and Marius has always been just so so for me.

3. Loved Anne Hathaway! Definitely worth the hype! I've seen the play probably a half dozen times in my life and have never felt such an emotional and wrenching connection to the character of Fontaine.

4. This show is definitely PG-13. As in the play, there is some sexual content (though I didn't feel it was over the top, and I've seen worse on the stage), swearing, and violence. There was more violence than there usually is in the stage production and the battle scenes were longer. I thought they did a good job at portraying the consequences of violence (something that is often lacking in the media) -the scene with the women cleaning up the blood was chilling, but a good one. The song "Empty chairs and empty tables" really hits you hard - that these people....his friends....are really never coming home.

Overall, I REALLY enjoyed this film!

10 comments:

  1. I just saw the new Les Mis for the first time last monday, on our day off. And I totally agree with everything you said. Anne Hathaway was INCREDIBLE and most definitely my favorite in the film. "I Dreamed a Dream" is great just listening to it on the soundtrack, but actually seeing her play it out on screen was heart wrenching!
    I've never liked seeing violence in films but it wasn't as terrible as I thought it would be, fight scene wise. But when they killed little Gavroche, I nearly balled my eyes out. It's sad to see anyone get shot down, but to see a kid get shot just hurts your soul! The scene with the women cleaning up the blood in the streets was very powerful for me too, and the women next to me in the theatre literally gasped. And then Javert jumping off the bridge--i did not like the sound he made when he hit. ick!
    I think my favorite part of the film was the end when Fontaine came to take Jean Valjean. I think that part of the movie also has some nice gospel connections. That was definitely the part that made me cry the most, such a touching moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I saw this as soon as it came out because I have always had a love for the music and the play! My parents love it and instilled a love in us children quite young. I have to agree that Anne Hathaway was amazing! "I Dreamed a Dream" was so full of emotion that it really got to me. The whole story line behind this really got me thinking. It was a movie that changed the way I thought about life. For the days immediately following when I saw it, all I could think about was Les Mis! Even now I still find myself contemplating the things I felt and what I learned. I have been obsessed with the music and continue to contemplate the meaning behind the plot. This to me was good media. It made me really think about life and how I could be a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My husband and I went to this on Christmas day, and loved it. He and I are both lovers of the theater, and we were ultimately very pleased. I know that lots of people complained about sexual content, which I definitely understand. However, I felt like for the most part (with the exception of master of the house) the sexual content was appropriately heavy and showed real life consequences rather than just people having recreational sex. Also, I saw this production in London in April and I thought the sexuality was more inappropriate in the stage version we saw. Loved this, but I would definitely wait to watch it with my children until we could have an adult conversation about the heavy themes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh my gosh!! The part where Cosette is singing to her dying father, and Fontaine tells Jean Valjean got me both times! (i've seen it twice haha). It hurts me to watch, but it's so beautiful and i am all tears!! I've never seen the musicals or really even known the story, but overall i liked it. Agreed, the love story was so so. And wow lots of blood on the street, that was kinda gross but i'm glad they didn't show mutilated bodies or anything.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I absolutely loved Les Mis! I agree that the Jean Valjean story was the best part. I love the message of forgiveness and mercy and that people can change. I also thought that "I Dreamed a Dream" was the best performance I have ever heard. Anne Hathaway really made you feel her agony.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I loved it too. It was very well done. For most movies, it is the music that can make it for me and the songs in this movie were incredible! I had no idea that Anne Hathaway could sing like that! I will never be able to look at her the same way. No longer just the Princess Diaries in my mind (although I do love those movies as well).

    ReplyDelete
  7. My family is absolutely obsessed with this movie. Growing up, we always listened to the music, and saw the play several times. When we heard that they were making a movie, we were so excited! We were able to go see Les Mis in a pre-showing event a week before Christmas, which was so amazing. Not a dry-eye in my entire family! Since then, I have seen it two more times and it is still as good as it was the first time I saw it. I agree that the story of Jean Valjean's transformation is so amazing. I left the movie wanting to be a better person.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jean Valjean is definitely one of the better characters I've come across in literature. He represents the struggle of morality from both sides, attempting to reconcile what is right and what is the law, what is right in God's eyes and what is right in man's. It doesn't get much better than Jean Valjean.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Its hard to not walk away from a movie like that and be so grateful for the time in which you have been born. To imagine that one had so little control over their life and the cards they were dealt. I feel like the movie asked a lot of hard questions such as "How far are you willing to go to maintain your integrity?" or "What would you do for your child?" or "Can one really change and/or be forgiven of a "sin" that they committed?"

    I agree that Anne Hathaway did an outstanding job. So many give her a lot of flack and I don't even know why. She is a great actress and (as the world now knows) singer. Anyone who did not feel for her and feel the intense emotions that she felt does not have a soul (extreme....maybe).

    The ending scene was breathtaking. I was ready to stand with them! Question to all of you, did you notice anyone from the Broadway musical in the production (besides Eponine)?

    ReplyDelete
  10. There were three broadway people in it, Eponine, the Priest, and the leader of the Rebellion. I say i agree, my fiancee and I were singing different songs from this every day after we saw it. Then we got back to Utah and frequently got attacked for liking it by people who have decreed it a terrible film with terrible content not appropriate for anyone. Its sad really as I found it really inspiring.

    ReplyDelete