Wednesday, January 16, 2013

NPR interview - violent video games

Today I was on NPR! For those of you who haven't yet made the leap to talk radio, NPR stands for National Public Radio. They have certain programs that literally are broadcast across the nation, and then some that are state specific. I was on the latter today, on one in Oregon. The topic: Violent video games. With the Sandy Hook shootings fresh on everyone's minds, we all want something to blame. Obama just announced TODAY his intention to tighten down on gun control laws (which if you've taken my adolescent dev class, you know how I feel about that!) The NRA (National Rifle Association), in a very interesting statement is more or less blaming media violence (and specifically has mentioned video games) as a primary cause of gun violence in the US. Check out the story here: http://nbcpolitics.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/12/21/16069537-nra-blames-media-music-and-more-for-culture-of-violence?lite


And ironically, two days ago the NRA just released an iPhone app where you can practice and hone your shooting skills on a virtual range.

NRA, after bashing violent media, releases 'Practice Range' app

My own thoughts are that until we look at the ENTIRE scope of aggressive behavior, we won't get very far. Media violence, access to guns, poverty, bullying in the classrooms, child abuse, etc. etc. etc. They are all small parts of a very large problem.

I was absolutely sickened by the shootings in Sandy Hook Elementary - but I'm glad that we are seriously talking about violence as a nation. And I was excited to do my part today. The interivew lasted about a half hour and really focused on the question - does playing violent video games influence aggressive behavior? I focused on the research showing it does, and they had Prof. Christopher Ferguson come on as the expert who says that it doesn't.

We will talk ALL about this very topic in our class - and remember the name Christopher Ferguson! He'll come up later. But I really contemplated saying no to this interview. I've had quite a bit of experience talking with the media, but I despise live radio interviews (live TV is even worse - I've done that twice!) You can't take back anything you say, the presenters can ask you ANYTHING, and I always end up feeling very anxious and rather stupid - even if I'm saying good things! But this is one way to get what I feel is a very important message to parents, so I do stuff like this.

You'll note I haven't really talked a lot about video game violence in this post. I want to save it for our massive discussion on the topic, BUT, the thing about today that struck me is that this issue is not going away any time soon. The debate rages on. It will be very interesting to see what this next year brings us!

7 comments:

  1. I am looking forward to this discussion. As a mother of two boys who love shooting video games, I am interested in the impact these have on their lives.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome that you are on NPR talking about Violence and their possible effects. I'm so grateful that this country is starting to realize the impact of violence, especially on the adolescence. What an interesting article from the NRA, shifting all blame to media.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you were definitely one of the first people I thought of after I heard about the Sandy Hook Elementary shooting. After talking about the school shootings in Adolescent Dev, it was so interesting to analyze the situation. I really wish the guy didn't kill himself, and that we could have heard interviews from him. We'll see what Obama does about this. And that's really interesting that they came out with that shooting game! ahh!

    That's really neat that you were on NPR!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just saw a segment about this new app on The View (yes, I watch The View) the other day. I don't know what the NRA wants to do by releasing this app, but I think it's ridiculous. Although it took something so horrific as the Sandy Hook shooting to make it come about, I am very glad that it has gotten America talking and trying to get to the bottom of this problem. Even the new Miss America was asked her opinion on the topic in her live interview question during competition. It's going to be a complicated road, but hopefully we'll get somewhere where we can do something about getting the truth out about video game violence and real life violence.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I took your Adolescents class just last semester and it was unfortunate to hear this after we spent so much time talking about school shootings. This was really a tragic event. I am also glad that Americans are looking into this more and trying to find solutions on how to prevent things like this. Although others might have been looking into it a little too much and are even calling this whole shooting a hoax. I'm not sure how I feel about that. I would hope that this might help people to act on preventing real problems rather than say it didn't really happen.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that there are many elements contributing to extreme aggressive behavior, and that we're not going to solve problems of school shootings, abuse in the home, and other violent acts by addressing one aspect of the problem and leaving out the rest. Each is indeed a small part of the large problem, and all aspects need to be considered in relation to the others. A multi-faceted problem like this will require a multi-faceted answer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found it ironic that a shooting happens and the first thing IRA did was blame a video game that the shooter didn't even play (his brother did). Most blaming of "video games" seems to be reactionary. While yes it does have scientific proof I rarely see it trumpeted properly in the news nor do I see people blaming a game for its actual effect. I just wish people would own up to their own actions rather than dumping it on someone or something else - Jeremiah

    ReplyDelete