Monday, January 13, 2014

One very *sassy* commercial

My daughter, Hannah, was singing this song...

"I'm Scat, the cat, I'm sassy and I'm fat. If you don't like my color then I'll change it like that!"

Nate (age 9) started tattling that Hannah was saying the word "sassy". When I asked him why that was a problem, he said, "well, sassy and sexy are the same thing". We had a little conversation about the difference between being sassy (which him and his sister are frequently) and sexy (entirely different ballpark).

Then he said, "Sexy is like on that commercial where they try to sell hamburgers" (in reference to Carl's Jr. commercials). When I asked him why they used sexy women in these commercials he said, "It's like they are trying to make you think that if you don't eat their hamburgers then you won't be cool. But then if you DO eat their hamburgers then you'll be sexy. It's just not the truth, though! It's just a HAMBURGER!!!"

This is like the most tame advert I could find....


Right on kid!!!! I despise Carl's Jr and their sexualization of women in advertising and am SO glad he is actually using his brain when these commercials come on!

9 comments:

  1. Haha this is so great! The way Carl's Jr. objectifies women is so sad, but it's great that your son understands it! It's too bad not everyone else understands it too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That makes me laugh that he thought sassy and sexy were the same thing! Cute!
    But I totally agree that it's so wrong to make their commercials about objectifying women instead of selling their food based it's quality. To me it makes me feel like their food is crappy if that is their selling point!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carl's Jr. commercials make me sick. I have been upset with them for a while. They are some of the most overtly sexual ads on TV. I change the channel when they come on so my kids don't see it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is an eye-opener for me. We don't watch much TV and when we do we have pre-recorded the shows so we can skip all the commercials. That add is disgusting....I'll buy my burgers somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. I can't believe that this is the most tame advertisement you could find. How frustrating. Carl's Junior was where I always loved going as a kid. It was my favorite fast food restaurant. (I didn't have as good of taste back then, I guess.) It's disappointing that they would choose to use sexual content in their advertising.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It just goes to show that even young kids can pick up on what is appropriate and what isn't! I really liked that you had a conversation about it with your kids though, because I bet most parents wouldn't even think about trying to talk to their kids about things like that! Nate is right though... why would you show off a sexy lady to get people to buy your hamburgers? LAAAAME.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, I had no idea Carl's Junior Advertised that way.. That's horrible. On the other hand, your kids are already analyzing media! I think that is a cool way for them to get smart and judge the media they will use in the future

    ReplyDelete
  8. Good for him! Why is it a 9 year old can see that but the Carl's Jr. advertisers can't? It really is so annoying. They had this whole string of commercials a while ago with women eating a hamburger "sexily". Um, I don't know about you but I do not look sexy eating a burger.... Seriously Carl's jr. just stop. It's gross.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Carl's Jr. advertisements make me sick. Literally. If one ever comes on t.v., I immediately turn it off but it still leaves me feeling gross inside. Is that how the world really sees women? As sexual objects that are just made to look at or use? Ugh. I sure hope not. I am so grateful for the knowledge I have that I am a daughter of God and as such, I have a divine heritage.

    ReplyDelete