Friday, January 15, 2016

A League of Their Own

This movie is probably in my top five favorite movies EVER!!!

So, you can imagine how excited I was to watch this at a girl's night with my only daughter, Hannah, age 8. Here we are all snuggled up.





I love so many things about this movie. It is such a powerful message for young girls - that you can DO anything and BE anything you want to be, regardless of gender! Hannah really seemed to pick up on this theme and has talked about this randomly throughout the past few days. I love the sports theme (even though I always stunk at baseball). I also love, love, LOVE Tom Hanks in this movie! He seriously cracks me up.



And I love the deep look at sibling rivalry between Dottie and Kit. It's pretty intense and I can relate on some level. There is a little sexual content which we fast forwarded, but not much. If you haven't seen this, go out and watch it immediately!!!

In honor of this beautiful movie, here are my top five favorite movie quotes from A League of Their Own. My siblings and I might quote some of these to each other regularly.


1. It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great.
2. Oh piss on your hat.
3. You ever hear Dad introduce us to people? "This is our daughter Dottie, and this is our other daughter, Dottie's sister." Should've just had you and bought a dog!
4. You think there are men in this country who ain't seen your bosoms?

And of course...


5. THERE'S NO CRYING IN BASEBALL!!!



What is your favorite "girl power" movie?

6 comments:

  1. I've watched 13 Going on 30 with my wife a few times. It's her personal favorite "girl power" movie (for different reasons maybe than yours is for A League of Their Own) but it's become a movie that we like to watch together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have never seen this movie but am now very interested in seeing it! It seems to capture the balance between humor and good everyday morals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this movie! I remember watching it a few times when I was younger. My dad's family is super into baseball so I related a lot to this film. Our favorite quote (that my husband says a lot) is "There's no crying in baseball!" I don't know if there is really another 'girl power' movie that is my favorite, but I'd definitely put this on the top of my list.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never seen this movie! By how it sounds, I would really like to though. I would love to build up my own library of more empowering movies, rather than what I have now, which is a very entertainment-based library.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My husband just watched this for the first time, and he was cracking up! Tom Hanks is great, and I love all of the quotes from this movie-especially the ones you included. A classic for sure! I like Legally Blonde with Reese Witherspoon, because it sends the message that you can do anything if you just work hard at it! (in her case, law school)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've never seen this movie but I am totally intrigued! I love movies that teach girls the skills that they need to succeed in life and that they can do anything if they put their mind to it! I also love baseball and Tom Hanks. I'm going to put this on my to-watch movie list! Thanks for the insights.

    ReplyDelete