Monday, January 4, 2016

Potty training

Welcome to a new SFL358 year! It's been a while since I posted on this blog and I'm excited to be teaching this class again!

Just a quick one for today - we have been talking to our 2 1/2 year old, Liam about potty training. We've got the potty out a few times, but haven't been really serious about it. Yesterday, on the way home from church, Liam, said "Daniel Tiger goes the potty". I said, "You are right! Do you want to go to the potty like Daniel Tiger?" Liam said "YES! In MY potty!"

*Our gorgeous little man*


You see, there is a whole episode about going to the potty on one of Liam's favorite shows, "Daniel Tiger's Neighborhood". My 11 year old calls this particular episode, "the worst show in the entire universe" and always complains loudly when it gets turned on. But it's pretty cool that my 2 year old understood the concept of the episode and wanted to change his behavior after viewing this particular episode.



For those of you who are not parents, you might not understand just how big a deal this actually is. I have four children and pretty much have been changing diapers for a solid 11 years of my life!!! That is a LOT of diapers. Liam is likely our last kid, so this represents a pretty exciting change for us (and our wallet!)


So.....thank you Daniel Tiger! And watch this space for potty training news in the future.

4 comments:

  1. Daniel the Tiger is a hero! Good luck on the final episode of your potty training adventures!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! I did a research paper on infants and the media last semester, actually! Overall I learned that not all shows are good for children to watch, but a lot of them are! This one seems great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This provides a lot of hope for me. Our first is four months old. It amazes me just how many diapers she can go through just in one day. Realizing that there is an end in sight somewhere is good to hear. And knowing that there are programs that actually encourage growth and progress gives me hope for when my wife and I have to figure out how to potty train in the near future.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate this in so many ways. I have 5 nieces and nephews and I know that they can learn critical skills by what they see on TV (or vice versa--they can be affected negatively too if the content is not edifying). I know that my nephew was able to learn shapes and colors before he was 2 years old by watching programs on TV.

    ReplyDelete