Sunday, January 31, 2016

Octonauts

I think this is probably my favorite kid's show. As in - I'll actually sit and fully watch (and enjoy) this one with my kids. I LOVE the ocean (I wanted to be a marine biologist up until I started college) and I learn something every time I watch it! This week we learned about the siphonophore. This is just one animal. A siphonophore is a colony of many creatures that probably can't live on it's own. It is also one of the only animals to produce a red light and is one of the longest creatures in the entire world. SO COOL. Not bad for preschool media!



A real siphonophore


4 comments:

  1. That is really cool. I like it when I see kids shows actually having substance and teaching the children something in a good way. I think it also says something that if an adult is willing to sit down and watch the episode with their child and not feel like they are going to blow their brains out then it is a pretty good show for the kids to watch and it creates opportunities for the parents to interact with their child and be aware of the media they are being exposed to. It keeps the relationship up when the child knows their parent cares about their life and feels like they are validated in what they are watching.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My son absolutely loves this show! I'd have to agree that Octonauts is one of the best preschool shows out there and one I know my son will learn something new every time. The only one I can think of that trumps this one is Daniel Tiger and only because Daniel Tiger shows kids how to handle day-to-day issues.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love kids shows that hold my attention too! I have 5 nieces and nephews and there are a couple shows that just drive me crazy (Dora and Doc McStuffins) but my nieces seem to love those ones! The more they teach in the shows, the more I'm intrigued. I really like shows that can hold both children and adult's attention. I'll have to watch Octonauts with my nieces and nephews sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I work at a clinic for children with Autism and we watch this show all the time! It is very informative and actually holds my attention. All of the little kids I work with are now very well educated on sea creatures:)

    ReplyDelete