Monday, February 8, 2016

Two Cathedrals

Tonight I got some bad news. The kind of news that leads to sobbing on the bathroom floor and a borderline panic attack. To numb some of the pain, I decided to turn to media.

As you know, The West Wing is my all time favorite show. There is one episode called "Two Cathedrals" (season finale of season 2). In my opinion, it is the finest 43 minutes and 57 seconds of television. Ever.

A scene kept running through my head. President Bartlet is considering running for re-election and unexpectedly experiences a tragedy in his life. After a funeral he has this conversation with God. Be warned - there is a little language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVgK5HKj3P4



President Bartlet is a highly religious man. But I think this scene portrays the raw pain that many of feel when we experience significant trials in our life. As I watched, I wondered. Is God just a "feckless thug"? Are we really in control of anything in this life or does He just play games with us? What's the point of trying our best - of giving our all - when it can be taken away so easily. I've related to this scene several times in my life, especially this year, and I cried as I watched it again today.

However, the episode does not end there. Bartlet has a profound conversation with someone who points out that "he's having quite the day". She reminds him that God does not *cause* accidents and that there are a lot of people who are "worse off than you". They talk numbers. How many children are born in poverty. How many people don't have health care. How many people are incarcerated, etc. President Bartlet realizes that there is still work to do. There is still hope.

There is a fierce storm. Bartlet enters the fray and makes the decision to run for re-election. He does not give up, even when the task appears insurmountable. It is my very favorite scene in any program I have ever viewed.

https://vimeo.com/56378248

As I watched this tonight, I was filled with hope. My 2 year old, Liam, had crawled out of bed and was snuggled next to me, playing with my ear as he likes to do. I felt warm and I felt loved. Bad things happen. It's not right and it's not fair. It's easy to feel hopeless and to feel like giving up. It's easy to blame God even though he gives us nothing but His grace. He knows exactly how much life can suck sometimes and He will not leave us comfortless. He will send a 2 year old and an inspired episode the West Wing to lift you up. There is still hope. And there is still a lot of work to do here on this earth. Watch this. I'm ready.

7 comments:

  1. You'll never be alone Sarah Coyne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that with every lesson you teach and every blog post you make there is an opportunity for you to share your testimony. I appreciate that God does give us hard things. How would we ever appreciate the good if we never had the bad to compare it to?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so grateful you show us how to find strength and God in the smallest things. These clips remind me of Elder Aoyagi's talk from conference when he couldn't understand why he had to suffer chronic pain and his friend counsels him, "Isn’t your purpose for being on this earth to experience this trial? Isn’t it to accept all the trials of this life for what they are and then leave the rest up to the Lord?"

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm sorry for what you are having to go through but the incredible strength that comes from faith in God can work wonders in our lives. It's amazing how little touches from children or a favorite show can impact our days so much. My go-to show is Gilmore Girls. I had a roommate once who knew when I had a bad day because I would be laying in bed watching Gilmore Girls. No matter what day I've had, I know that the Gilmore Girls will get me through it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had one of those moments a couple weeks ago and blogged about. Life is SO difficult sometimes. However, I also know that God loves us and all of these things turn out to be ok in the end. I actually turned to media as well to cope. It helps, doesn't it :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dr. Coyne, I'm sorry for your trials and hope you know that I think you're one of the strongest people I know! I admire you and the way you build all of us through your lectures. You make me want to overlook the bad and focus on the good. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and what helps you through tough times.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for this, I need this today.

    ReplyDelete