Thursday, September 17, 2009

Up....lifting?

Me and Nate went to see the movie, "Up" at the dollar theatre this week. Side note: We snuck in our own popcorn. Devilish, I know, but I can't stomach paying $7.00 for popcorn when it costs me approximately $0.32 to pop it myself! So, I've been looking forward to this movie for MONTHS. I've really enjoyed most of the Disney/Pixar movies to date, and thought this was such a clever idea!

As typical, the movie was GORGEOUS! When the balloons came out for the first time, I just felt happy! :) I really loved watching the relationship between the old man and the little boyscout kid change over time. Definitely a very touching film, with a wonderful message about living life to the fullest!




The only problem was that my son got really scared! There are these really MEAN dogs who chase the main characters throughout the movie, and they are scary! (especially to a 4 year old!!) Also, there is a point where the main bad guy grabs a shotgun and starts shooting at the old man and little kid! ACK! So, as much as I love Disney/Pixar I wasn't super impressed when my son was hiding his face and crying because of the mean man and dogs!



In sum: a very uplifting movie: I certainly enjoyed it, but not sure if my son did so much!! In fact, as we left he said, "Mom, can we watch a NOT scary movie next time?" hmmmm...I guess this officially takes me out of the running for the "Mother of the year award"!

3 comments:

  1. You are hilarious! I agree wholeheartedly about this movie - in fact, the happy balloons were one of my favorite parts too. This made me think about how much I will have to change/monitor my choices of media when I start having kids. After all, they view the world so differently than we do and even though Up was fine for people of our age group, it sounded like it was anything but fine for your little boy! Having kids is a long way off for me, but it's gonna happen someday, so I might as well try to get in the habit of choosing mostly kid-appropriate media now, right?

    ReplyDelete
  2. When my husband and I went to see it, the little kid behind us started crying her eyes out when the bad man caught the bird. It was pretty intense.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen the movie "Up" yet, but I really want to- just because the little boyscout looks so cute! When you wrote about your son being scared, it made me think about how "when I was little".... I used to be terrified of all the grown-up deer in Bambi; espeically Bambi's father. I rarely watched the movie because I thought of it as a "scary movie". And if I did watch the movie, I would make my dad fast forward through certain parts. I wonder if Disney means to have such "scary" scenes in their movies or if they don't realize it.

    ReplyDelete