Saturday, May 19, 2012

The Avengers and why Utah County is the worst place ever to see a film

After some serious peer pressure, my friends talked me into going to see the Avengers. Which if you know anything about me, is seriously not my type of movie. But everyone I had talked to had said it was sooooo good, so I thought, fine. It's been awhile since I've been to the theater so here are some thoughts I had.

1. $9 a ticket to see a movie???? ARE YOU SERIOUS?!?!? This is highway robbery.

2. $7 for popcorn!?!? See above comment. This has got to be marked up at least 10,000%.

3. Because of 1 and 2, I am only going to see movies at our local Water Gardens theater. $3 for tickets, $3 for a large popcorn...definitely worth the wait.

4. Do not bring your baby to the movie theater. Especially if it is to a packed out movie theater, on a late Friday night. The same goes for 2 year-olds who run around and yell the entire time. I would guess that Utah County has the biggest offenders of this annoying and disrespectful practice. It's not fair to your kids and it's not fair to everyone else in the audience. I didn't spent $25 on a babysitter so I could listen to your kids ruin the movie for me.

5. The Avengers is not appropriate for your 5 year old. Or your 6 year old. Or your 7 year old. It's rated PG-13 for a reason.  I could not believe the number of really young kids in the theater! The movie is FULLLLLL of violence....what are these parents thinking?

6. The Avengers was just okay for me. Honestly, I was kind of bored at the end. I mean, just how long can you extend one battle scene? Too much action, and WAY too little plot.  However, there were some really funny moments, that made up for a lot. Robert Dowey Jr. was the savior of that film...hilarious! It almost makes me want to go see Iron Man.

7. Snuggling at the movie theater with your husband and without three kids hanging off of you....worth sitting through all the above! :)

7 comments:

  1. Never go see a major, conveyor-belt cookie cutter blockbuster that everyone swears is SO good. They are conditioned to say that, and it is not true. Iron Man is worth seeing though, it's witty.

    A good trip to the theater can be really, really magical. I've found Harry Potter midnight showings to be pretty good (no one brings little kids, and if you get there early then you're in a theater with other people who got there early, which means you are all intensely committed to watching the movie. Also, when I went to Sundance it was in a theater with red velvet curtains and a man who plays the organ before the show. Now that is delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I definitely agree with you on all of the above. I had to laugh at all of your points, because I had the exact same thoughts. I only went for my husband, and I don't know how many chick flicks I've made him sit through. At least you were able to enjoy a kid-free evening with your husband, even though the movie was lame.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yup- I don't think we have paid more than $2 since we have been married for a movie, and we smuggle in our dollar store snacks and popcorn :-/ ... and we don't have kids, making us all the more cheap! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You seriously crack me up! I can just picture/hear this with you in front of a classroom of students spilling your guts about how passionate you are about this. And I agree with everything you said.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I miss you in my class!!!! :( How is life after graduation???

      Delete
  5. My husband and I were at the most recent Sherlock Holmes movie several months ago. It was opening weekend, a packed house, and what did I see? 3-4 children running up and down the aisles during the movie and at least 1-2 babies in the audience. This is one of my biggest pet peeves aside from people who talk during a movie...It's SO rude. I couldn't believe that people would bring their young kids to this movie, let alone have such blatant disregard for those around them. I posted a status update on Facebook after this happened. It sparked a mini war between 2 friends about whether this was a product of the Utah County/LDS culture. It got pretty heated!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Unfortunately going to the movies in most other places, the tickets are much more expensive. I paid $12 to see Lincoln. Although a good film, I agree, that it would be much more to my liking if I waited a month or two to see it in the dollar theater, or rent it from the red box.

    Also, there was tons of violence in the Avengers, but its a boyhood dream. Just imagine Nathan's excitement, but him having to wait another 20 years to see the movie. That's a LONG TIME! And although the movie was two hours, let's see you save the world in that amount of time. HA!

    ReplyDelete