Monday, May 7, 2012

Disney channel saves lives!

Did you hear about this on the news? A 6-year-old girl in Sacramento saved her best friend’s life by performing the Heimlich maneuver earlier this week, something she learned from watching a Disney Channel TV show. “She was choking and then I helped her,” Beanie told ABC News. “I asked if I saved her life and she said, Yeah, you did.” However, the question remains, how exactly did a 6-year-old know how to do the Heimlich? “I saw it on A.N.T. Farm,” Beanie said. “I asked my mom, Can people really do that? And she said, Yeah.” Chalk one up for the Disney Channel!!

4 comments:

  1. Wow. That's amazing. I don't think I would have been able to watch a show as a child and then be able to actually perform a life-saving technique. I'm impressed by the little girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that's incredible! Go disney.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is the coolest media-influenced story I've ever heard- honestly, if media did more of that and less of other things, I would appreciate it a lot more. Thanks for sharing this with everyone- it sort of helps you feel better about letting your children watch tv sometimes! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well that is super cool! I wonder what the episode was like....did they actually show the technique how to do it or did she just observe and then inferred how to do it? Not that it is a particularly hard thing to do but just a thought...
    At girls camp one year, we had just learned the heimlich maneuver that day and at lunch my friend started choking on a chip and one of the leaders who had just learned saved her. The next year my friend and I made up a caughty song to teach our girls how to do the heimlich so they wouldn't forget the proper steps in case their friend started chocking on a chip. Anyway, random, cool story I just had to share. Haha

    ReplyDelete