Friday, March 15, 2013

Yet another Misrepresentation in my day

Today I did a media interview for a new women's talk show on BYU TV. They were interviewing hosts so I was the guinea pig for their potential host to practice on.

The girl who was the host is an actress who lives in NYC! She has been in quite a few commercials(mostly for women's products). Her first name is Kristy and I can't remember her last name or I would tell you so you could look her up.

I've done quite a few media interviews, but this was a bit different. First, I thought it was radio, not TV, so I wasn't prepared for the elaborate set they had (where they film studio C I think). Thank goodness I didn't wear ripped jeans! Also, when I arrived, they had a professional makeup artist do my makeup! I must have looked tired cause she put a lot of makeup under my eyes! :) I was grateful, but felt almost unethical given what we just spoke about today in class!

I chatted with the host a bit about her glamorous lifestyle and she said it is fun, but there is a price. For example, they photoshop everything. Her dentist wanted her to get veneers, but she said, "why? They are just going to lighten my teeth anyway" They typically change her eyes to blue (they are green usually) and completely airbrush her skin. I thought she said something very telling when she said, "I often wish I could walk around with my airbrush face on...so much nicer!" And she was WAY pretty!  She said her best friends all look exactly the same because they all go to the same auditions, so spend a lot of time together. And she got one part because of a tiny line between her eyes (the producers actually told her that). She also said that she recently did an audition with her daughters, but they said she would never get the part because they weren't believable as mother/daughter. Why? She is brunette and her daughter is blond. Crappy Hollywood.

Anyway, the interview was a fun 8 min out of my time (we talked about mean girls, video games, and school shootings) but I think this experience really hit home after what we talked about today in class. It was so interesting to hear this kind of a stuff from an actual actress trying to make it big on actual TV. Absolutely fascinating.

4 comments:

  1. That's amazing! Will we be able to watch it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so cool, you should post it!! I actually was a model for a fashion segment on the Daily Dish recently- i will post about that experience soon on my media blog! and I agree with the makeup thing, haha i took a picture of myself and sent it to my husband and he told me i looked like i got a spray tan haha

    ReplyDelete
  3. The longing she had to have her "airbrush face" on... that's what concerns me. I agree that you should post the video if you can!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cool experience. I cannot imagine having to be altered so much just to do your job. I agree with everyone else that you should post the video once it gets produced.

    ReplyDelete